Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Amber & The Case of the Facebook Meme

Today, on a very special episode of "Michelle & Amber's Open Adoption Blog"....Amber loses her blog-ginity.


{Scene: Michelle & Amber's living room.  Michelle and Amber sit on the couch, Michelle's legs stretched out with her feet resting in Amber's lap.  Empty take-out containers of sushi are stacked on the end tables.  The TiVo is paused, freezing an episode of Modern Family on the screen.}

Michelle:  You should write a post for our blog.

Amber:  Ugh. No. That's your thing.  You like it.  You're good at it.  You do it.

Michelle:  I know.  But you'd be good at it too.  You're good at Facebook.

Amber:  'Good at Facebook'?!  Who's 'good at Facebook'? What's that even mean?

Michelle:  I don't know.  I like your status updates. They're funny.

Amber:  That's different.  I'm not writing a blog post.

Michelle: C'mon, you said you'd never do Facebook, but now you love Facebook.  You'd love writing a blog post too.  You just have to try it.

Amber:  No.  And I don't "love Facebook"...

Michelle: You do. You love it.  It's ok.

Amber: I'm not writing a blog post.  You know me.  You just write it and say it was me.

Michelle:  No! I have enough things to write.  You write it, it's not that hard.  I'll find you a meme.

Amber:  A what?!

Michelle:  A meme.

Amber:  What the hell's a 'meme'?

Michelle:  It's little questions or lists or writing prompts that people post on blogs.  Things that give you a chance to post little clever snippets without having to actually come up with a topic for your blog post.  And then they go viral or whatever, and a bunch of people post the same thing.  Like that "25 Random Things" thing from Facebook.  Ooooh.  That's perfect.  That's what you'll do.  You'll do the "25 Random Things" Facebook meme for your blog post.

Amber:  Hrmph.  Can we just watch this show?

Michelle:  Ok, but you're doing a blog post....

Amber: We'll see....

{Fade to black}

Without further ado, we now present "25 Random Things About Amber" brought to you tonight in it's entirety without commercial interruption.


1.  I'm finally driving the Suburu Outback that I've wanted ever since I turned sixteen.
2.  I've been a vegetarian since I was 14 years old because I love animals too much to eat them. I turned both my younger sisters vegetarian by showing them gory pictures from PETA brochures.  My mom still hasn't forgiven me for that!
3.  I would have a house full of dogs rescued from the pound if it weren't for Michelle.  This is why I'm not allowed to volunteer for the ASPCA.
4.  I take a weekly spin class at GSU, and have a secret penchant for bass-thumping dance mixes.
5.  I've never met a stranger.  I think people are fascinating, and I can talk to anyone.  About anything.  For hours.
6.  I can't wait to become a mom.
7.  I love to read and always have been able to get lost in books.  My favorites are mysteries, spy thrillers, and cop books, and my Kindle is my favorite new toy.
8.  I have a death fear of roaches.
9.  My sisters are six and eight years younger than I am, and I loved being a mini-mom to them when they were growing up.  Now that we're all adults, I love and value the close relationship we all have with one another.
10. I have a master's degree in anthropology.  I did field work in archaeology.  No, it's nothing like Indiana Jones.  It is, however, exactly like Lara Croft.
11.  I got chased by a moose in Alaska on a family vacation.  I stepped between a mom moose and her baby moose, to get a picture.  The rest of my family ran and hid in the van before I even knew what was happening.
12.  The first bone I ever broke was my wrist from a skateboard fall when I was in the third grade.
13.  I have an extra bone in my foot that most people don't have.  I didn't know it was there until I broke it by tripping and falling in our driveway a few years ago.  Oops.
14.  I'm left-handed.
15.  I grew up playing softball, but my mom also made me take jazz, tap, and ballet classes.  I still have nightmares about being the chubby kid in a purple leotard, dancing to "I Heard It Through The Grapevine"
16. I had a 'coming out' party when I was sixteen, but not the type you would think.  I was a debutante, and had a formal debutante ball.  I still have nightmares about that, too.
17.  One of the best vacations I ever took was to Sicily to meet all my relatives.
18.  Michelle and I celebrated our 10th anniversary in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.  It would have been the best vacation ever, but I ended up in a Mexican hospital.  Word of advice: Don't drink the water.
19.  The next year, we decided to play it safe and stay in the US for vacation.  I got stung by a stingray on that trip.
20. I love the water, and I miss living on the beach.  Frequent road trips to Florida and the Georgia coast fill that void.
21. My grandfather worked for NASA, and I grew up watching shuttle launches from my own backyard.
22. Jade, Fonzie, Michelle (the poodle, not the person), Ebony, Muffin, Skittles, Snickers, Cheena, Hobey Cat, Nut & Honey, Zacheus, Max, Jake, Kermit, Roger, Aurora, Peta, Janice, Mocha, Jerry, Phil and Byrdine are the names of all the pets I've owned.
23. I have two tattoos.  Someday soon there will be a third.
24. I'm a secret shoe whore.
25. I didn't really write this blog.  Michelle did.  I'm really stubborn and wouldn't do it.  She's more stubborn, so she did.

If Amber blogged, it would look like this.


x's & o's,
Michelle

3 comments:

  1. You had me at #5. I have cornered Amber at the voting pole at at least one occasion.

    Don and I are pulling for you guys. If there is anything that we can do to help, please let us know. We can attest to what great neighbors you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I accidently found you while searching google. But thats a good thing right?? Anyway, I just wanted to officially announce we are eavesdropping on your life.

    That is all....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jenn, you guys are great!

    And..welcome Kristen & Misty! Glad to have you...eavesdrop away!

    ReplyDelete