Saturday, May 7, 2011

Happy (Birth) Mother's Day


Sunday May 8th is Mother's Day.  Saturday May 7th is recognized in the adoption world as "Birthmother's Day".  (The day before Mother's Day...get it?  So clever, those adoption folks.)

Some feel it is proper and thoughtful to honor birth moms on a separate day, a day all their own, because they may feel left out or a special sense of loss on Mother's Day itself.  Others feel that not simply honoring their motherhood on Mother's Day is demeaning and reeks of  that whole distasteful "separate but equal" thing.

I'm too new to this whole adoption world to have a thoughtful opinion yet, honestly.  And theoretical and academic arguments aside, I think I'll probably just honor our child's birth mother on whichever day she feels most comfortable.  Or heck, why not on both, if she's game?

But for right now, I'll just say that I love that quote up there, and I wanted to share (I picked the pretty background myself...).  So, read it on Saturday, or read it on Sunday, whichever feels right to you, and think about the birthmother(s) in your life (or the one you hope will be in your life soon...).

x's & o's,

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment